Monday, March 17, 2008

Overwhelmed by Wine!

Are you an overwhelmed wine drinker? I am. But not in the sense that the marketing gurus have determined what the definition of an overwhelmed drinker is. In a study commissioned by Constellation Wines US. Wine consumers were broken down into six categories. So why am I overwhelmed? Not by the sheer numbers of wines available from around the globe but rather by the "so much wine, so little time"factor. And I love trying wines from different regions in the world whenever I can get them. When I travel to different parts of the country and to other countries I drink "local" wines as much as possible. I read a lot of wine blogs but I have to say that I do not find the endless reviewing of wines on these blogs to be particularly useful. Mostly because I cannot purchase the wine described at any of the wine shops I frequent locally. But also because of my philosophy about wine. Wine to me is the most wonderful drink in the world to be enjoyed to the fullest. This frenetic chasing of one wine after another does not give me the peace and joy I have come to expect from wine. I have a dozen or so I fall back on for that purpose and then will taste others for a change of pace.
Having said all that I have a wine newsletter by the same name as my blog "Wilf's Wine Press" and I have a panel of 8 tasters to help me review wines. You will not often see me reviewing a wine on this blog because of the fact that chances are you will not be able to find them where you live. So what's the point in you reading about a wine you cannot get. My newsletter's subscribers are for the most part (95%) local and at least the wines I review will be available to them.
So keep on drinking. (wine of course) And perhaps someday soon we will be able to try a wine from a far off Arab state. There might be a rocket or two resting among the rocks in their vineyards but that will just add to the "terroir" taste. Or is that terror?

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Wilf,

I sympathise with you! I am off to Bordeaux shortly where I will doubtless become a very overwhelmed wine drinker. Great fun though - I love hunting out good wines.

I agree with you that it's a shame most of us can't taste the wines that are reviewed - like you I enjoy sampling local fayre when travelling. Though sampling Eygpt's best was not that wonderful experience I can assure you! (The lager was much better!)

Cheers
Nick (Ooops - used my wife's Google Account! I have not had a sex change honestly but I do wish she would get off my computer!)

Wilf G.K said...

Nick, as always good to hear from you and thanks for the comment. Lucky you,traveling to Bordeaux. If all goes well, I will be in the Beaujolais region and a few others in May. Have to tell you though and don't take it personally, your wife is better looking than you.
Cheers my friend,
Wilf